When trying to decide what to cook for a potluck, we decided on a simple and easy-to-make vegan lasagna. Why? Because not only is it a crowd pleaser, but lasagna is fun to layer and easy to make vegan. With vegan cheeses and meat replacements becoming increasingly more accessible in grocery stores, veganizing this classic Italian dish was not hard at all. Replace ground beef with any vegan crumbles, (we chose Morning Star’s Veggie Grillers Crumbles), swap tofu and almond milk for the traditional ricotta cheese, and boom you have a vegan lasagna!
- Lasagna noddles
- Veggie crumbles
- Marinara sauce
- 1/2 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 16-ounce package of firm tofu
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 ounces lime juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in sauce pan. Sauté crumbles until cooked through. Add onion and sauté until onion becomes translucent. Mince garlic or use garlic press to extra garlic into pan. Stir to combine.
- Add marinara sauce and spices to taste. (Option: Add dried oregano and red pepper flakes for extra flavor and spice.) Stir and place on low heat.
- Press firm tofu to remove excess liquid and crumble into blender. Add almond milk and lime juice. Blend until smooth.
- Cook lasagna noodles based on package instructions. (Option: Purchase oven-ready lasagna noodles.)
- Spoon two tablespoons of marinara sauce into rectangular baking pan, spread to cover. Layer lasagna noodles, tofu mixture, beefy marinara sauce, and handful of spinach until out of noodles. Top with marinara sauce. (Option: top with nutritional yeast and/or vegan parmesan for extra cheesiness.)
- Cover lasagna with foil. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
Until next time,