When I started experimenting with eating vegan three years ago, I started by cooking meals on weekends because I had more time (and energy) to cook. The first meal I practiced “veganizing” was my go-to Saturday breakfast—scrambled eggs and home fries. Tofu and nutritional yeast make for a similar consistency as scrambled eggs but if you’re looking for the same taste, JUST Egg is the way to go. Next up, quesadillas. Instead of cheese, I use Mykonos brand vegan cheese, which melts just like real cheese. And for dinner, quinoa with roasted chickpeas and veggies, which quickly became a staple in my house. Check out the recipes below!
Tofu Scramble and Home Fries
- Firm or extra-firm tofu (1 block) or JUST Egg
- Red or golden potatoes (3–4 golden potatoes or 6 red potatoes)
- Avocado (sliced or diced)
- Nutritional yeast (2 tablespoons)
- Turmeric (2 teaspoons)
- Chili powder (2 teaspoons)
- Paprika (2 teaspoons)
- Olive Oil (2 tablespoons)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven warms, rinse and dice potatoes. Toss with olive oil, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Place potatoes in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet. Place in the oven for 25–30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- While the potatoes cook, drain tofu and cut in half. Press tofu between paper towels and cutting boards (or use a tofu press) to remove excess liquid. Heat a pan over medium heat with oil. Once the pan is heated, crumble tofu into the pan. Mix in nutritional yeast and turmeric. Cook until hot (approximately 5 minutes).
- Place finished potatoes and tofu scramble in a bowl, top with salsa and avocado, and enjoy.
Cheesy Vegan Quesadillas
- Tortilla (two large pieces)
- Vegan cheese (I cup)
- Tomato (1)
- Avocado (1)
- Sprinkle desired amount of vegan cheese on a tortilla. Heat in microwave for no more than thirty seconds.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in pan. Place cheesy tortilla on pan, cover.
- Repeat same process on another tortilla and place first tortilla on a plate to make room for the second tortilla
- Slice tomato and avocado and place tomato and avocado slices on second cheesy tortilla as it sits on the pan.
- Place the first tortilla onto the second tortilla, cheesy side down. Let melt together for a moment before slicing and serving.
Quinoa with Roasted Chickpeas and Veggies
- Quinoa (1 cup)
- Chickpeas (15 ounces)
- Vegetable(s) of choice (3–4 cups)
- Smoked paprika (2 teaspoons)
- Chili powder (2 teaspoons)
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven warms, rinse chickpeas and cook quinoa to package instructions.
- Place chickpeas in a bowl. Marinade with olive oil, smoked paprika and chili powder or spice(s) of your choice.
- Bake chickpeas in oven for fifteen minutes, tossing halfway through. Bake for an additional few minutes for extra crispiness.
- Pan fry frozen veggies or bake fresh veggies with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss quinoa, chickpeas, and veggies into a bowl, serving with hot sauce, raspberry vinaigrette, or sauce of your choice.
Until next time,